Peace Out Summer

08:00

A miracle happened! Until around June last year I was hands down a winter person and hated the summer. I hated being hot. I hated being so hot and not being able to do anything about it… I hated being hot on the underground, I hated being hot indoors and I hated being hot outside…and then I went to Tel Aviv and realised that heat and the sun, especially on the beach, is oh so good!

I was originally going to write a blog post a little while ago which was going to be titled Why I’m not Ready to say Goodbye to Summer Just Yet. We had a rather long and glorious summer in the UK. Intense at times, but we don’t complain about the heat and sunshine here, because you know, we’re kind of lucky to even get it when we do. 

This summer, I wanted to do nothing but bask in the rays from that giant star in the solar system. For someone who is usually a jumper, jeans or leggings kind of girl, skirts and dresses were worn on the reg, arms were out in full force and sunglasses were a necessity every day. It was simply magnificent! What wasn’t magnificent was the amount of people that were harping on about autumn and the changing seasons WAY before summer was over, even when we were still very much in the thick of Summer bliss, and you know what, it really got on my nerves. 

Now don't get me wrong, I adore autumn, but it seemed like everyone was jumping on the bandwagon and talking about it way to prematurely (mainly all for the sake of the Gram to be fair). 

Now yes, summer WAS intense, not gonna lie. There were moments where I was completely over it, but it just made everything (other than public transport) so beautiful. People had been talking about autumn online since august. AUGUST!!! And I just was not down for it. It was too soon. I even saw the “C word” thrown around a couple of times, which was just taking it to far. (Just to clarify, that’s the “c” word that starts with “Christ” and ends in “mas”, not the other c word)!

I thought the summer we had was a rather poignant one and said to myself that rather than talking about the next season so quickly, that I was actually make the most of the last days of summer instead. My way of doing this was by going on a little day trip to Brighton. Now it’s no beach by the ocean in Tel Aviv, but it’s one of the best things we’ve got around here.


Some of the other things that I was doing was not giving into changing into an autumn wardrobe and still wearing skirts and culottes without a jacket, that’s how desperate I was to not let go. It wasn’t until the sudden drop in temperature four weeks ago that I decided against it. Having a final summer hurrah, by going on a day trip to Brighton was, well, perfect. Being able to stroll around and explore a colourful and eclectic city, in all it's sun kissed glory is something I’m so glad I was able to do right at the end of Summer. No trip to Brighton is incomplete without chips by the pier (obviously), or without seagulls trying to nick said chips while you eat them (obviously). A definite go to for chips there has to be Harry Ramsden. It has that old school, original chippy feel to it, and they taste incredible which is a bonus. We bought a couple of guitar picks from G.A.K and went exploring around the lanes and even the residential streets too, as there isn’t an absence of character and quirk in any of the buildings in Brighton, whether it be an independent jewellery store, bakery, vintage shop or house.




I think it is really important to make the most of the “today”. We live in a time where we’re constantly running after the next thing or thinking about where we want to be next, when there’s so much power in just savouring the “today”. You know what else I think? Even though summer is officially over, we can still make the most of these todays. The last week has been gloriously sunny, albeit slightly chilly, so get out there and enjoy it (with a jacket on of course).

Although I may still be in a little denial and have still refused to wear a jumper or even dare bring out a pair of tights and boots just yet, I’m probably going to have to give in fairly soon though, and I’m sure I’ll have another post up about the amazingness of autumn next.

British Summer Time 2018, you’ve been a great one. Until next year ✌️☀️

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook